[KL] PC3 detuned
vin.ge@yahoo.com [KurzList]
2018-08-17 10:14:31 UTC
Hi guys,

I've a PC3 that, after playing for a while, presents a change of tuning, about 50cents, if I press "panic" the problem disappears, but, after 5min is back again.

Is a general problem, all sounds and patches have same issue.
I've checked all parameters, but, of course, didn't find the right one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
'David Berriman' dberriman@mi.rr.com [KurzList]
2018-08-17 18:28:34 UTC
Good question.

Something like that has happened to me with my PC3K8 and did last week during a gig...where suddenly a set-up that I chose had some of its voices, or layers, detuned, or out of tune”. I pulled up my Here I Go Again set-up and the strings were flat. I immediately shut the keyboard off and turned it back on, and that solved the problem. Took 20 seconds. The band had to go into another song. 3rd set, everyone in the bar drunk, hardly noticed, thank God. Hope that doesn’t happen again any time soon.

any responses to this weird phenomenon would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks in advance
Kathy Sander kathysander@bigpond.com [KurzList]
2018-08-17 21:52:14 UTC
My PC3 did this when it got wet at an outside gig .. not sure if this has occurred with yours ?

Cheers
Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

KATHY SANDER 🎹

m 0412 670 038
d 07 3870 9534
e ***@bigpond.com
a 3/70 Swann Road, Taringa, Q 4068
w www.moodmusic.com.au
Thanks in advance
Charlie Mann crashmann@gmail.com [KurzList]
2018-08-17 22:01:32 UTC
I've seen this happen when the pitch bend potentiometer gets cruddy.

Take a look at the MIDI scope to see if there are spurious pitch bend
messages:
Master
 UTILS
  MIDI

When you first boot the PC3, the keyboard scans the controls and
considers them set to zero, or neutral. Once you touch the pitch bend,
if the contacts are dirty, it will never center, and the MIDI scope will
be filled with CC messages.

You'll have to open the keyboard to get at the pitch bend pot. You might
get lucky and be able to use electronic contact cleaner spray. For
reliable operation, you should replace the pot. Too bad there aren't any
more Radio Shacks (sigh).

Good luck!

Charlie
murq101@gmail.com [KurzList]
2018-08-22 00:27:10 UTC
I found the same thing as Charlie and others. You should be able to take the end cap off (a few screws); take the screws off the bottom that secure the wheels assembly to the case bottom and move it out enough to spray with contact cleaner. I used some old radio shack cleaner that has an oil to protect and worked fine so you should be able to find similar if not better cleaners. It is fairly simple. You can check in diagnostic to see that it zeroes and runs consistent both ways.

I had this problem about year after I bought my used PC361 in 2012 and sent it for warranty "replacement". That "replacement of wheel" lasted about 6 months and started to act up. At the time I was leery of it being another issue because it got so bad that it would react real strange and I also did not want to send it away as gigging a lot so I just disabled the wheel in software (had to do for each setup) as at that time I was not confident I could fix it myself. That was a mistake as the "fix" with cleaner is pretty easy.

My cleaner fix has lasted well but I still might buy another one while they are available. My research only came up with that for a new replacement you must buy the assembly of both - pretty pricey. Let me know if you find another source for new cheaper pitch bend only. One poster even noted that he replaced his with a Yamaha because it has sealed pot - but he had to mod the screw mounting... I love my PC361 except for that noted wheel issue...