[KL] Kurzweil K2000R Velocity
wurlitzer11@hotmail.com [KurzList]
2018-01-12 11:31:30 UTC
I would like to completely disable velocity on my Kurzweil K2000R for my K2000 Theater Organ I have loaded into 200-240. I have an Allen organ as my controller. Organ sounds should not have any velocity at all so on those sounds I want to disable it. Also when I load my theatero.krz into ram from my internal SCSI drive it plays great. When I turn the unit back on I see the programs on the screen but no sound unless I reload theatero.krz from the SCSI again. Is this just a battery issue not keeping the sounds in Ram or do I have to load it every time I start up the unit?
Gordonjcp gordon@gjcp.net [KurzList]
2018-01-13 01:28:05 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com [KurzList]
I would like to completely disable velocity on my Kurzweil K2000R for my K2000 Theater Organ I have loaded into 200-240. I have an Allen organ as my controller. Organ sounds should not have any velocity at all so on those sounds I want to disable it. Also when I load my theatero.krz into ram from my internal SCSI drive it plays great. When I turn the unit back on I see the programs on the screen but no sound unless I reload theatero.krz from the SCSI again. Is this just a battery issue not keeping the sounds in Ram or do I have to load it every time I start up the unit?
You might need to fiddle a bit, but it ought to be possible to edit
those patches to not have velocity.

If they use samples, the program objects will remain in CMOS RAM but the
samples will be lost when you turn the power off and need to be
reloaded.

If you can drop the .KRZ files for the sounds somewhere I'll take a look
at the velocity thing when I get a minute.
Gordonjcp
werner schoenenberger sinserli@yahoo.com [KurzList]
2018-01-13 04:27:19 UTC

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
failed:

"***@gmail.com":
SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
host: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a potential
5.7.0 security issue. Please visit
5.7.0 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to review our
5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines. v16si22365418wie.33 - gsmtp
mghall@frys.com [KurzList]
2018-01-13 03:17:45 UTC
I would like to completely disable velocity on my Kurzweil K2000R ...
Usually each program is designed to respond to velocity in some
appropriate way, but if you really want the whole K2000R to be velocity
insensitive, then this is what I would try:

1. go to the MIDI / Receive page
2. select the Velocity Map parameter
3. press Edit
4. make a "flat" velocity map, maybe setting all velocity levels to 64
(mid-range) or 100?
5. select the new map for the Velocity Map setting on the MIDI / Receive page

Now the velocities of all incoming notes will be "flattened" by your new
flat map.

I hope I got those steps right. Check the manual for details; I'm pretty
sure there's a section on the vel-map editor towards the end of the book.
When I turn the unit back on I see the programs on the screen but no
sound unless I reload theatero.krz from the SCSI again.

Yes. The sample data is lost on power down, but the program are retained.
They are two different kinds of data, in two different places - one is
used by the sound engine, the other by the controller.

Or, think of the PCs in 1995 ... some BIOS settings were in battery backed
ram, but those memory SIMMs went blank when you turned the power off. The
same memory SIMMs are used in the K2000R.
Is this just a battery issue not keeping the sounds in Ram
No, the fact that your programs are retained after power down means that
the battery is probably good.

To check, once the unit is on, press 4-5-6 to enter the panel diagnostics.
One of the items on the screen should be the battery voltage level. It
should be around 4 volts or so. Check it every few months or so. Once I
let mine go way too long and the batteries leaked, and I had to replace
the battery holder. So - check your voltages people! :-) (the screen
will say how to exit diagnostics).
or do I have to load it every time I start up the unit?
Yes, the samples need to be loaded every time we power up.

The good news is that you can make a disk "macro" to clean out the bank
and reload the file for you automatically at power on. There's a good
section about disk macros in the Disk chapter in the manual. It's well
worth digging into.
jon kirch jonkirch@comcast.net [KurzList]
2018-01-14 21:57:22 UTC
KB3 mode ... designed to emulate organs

https://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/sw-k2b3/

and this

http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/kurzweil/k2500r/k2500_kb3_mode/k2500_kb3.pdf

this http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3a8/master/454/ suggests that
velocity control is limited to a few choices ...