[KL] K2661 SMP-61 Errors
XCVII supraleiter@yandex.com [KurzList]
2018-01-05 20:25:48 UTC
About a year ago I was able to obtain a NOS SMP-61 for my OS 1.30 K2661 on eBay, unfortunately took until this last holiday to conduct installation. There were several other unused Kurz parts, some of you esp here in the States may have seen the auctions.

For anyone reading this in the future, the installation pamphlet for SMP-61 omits real signal names and pcb junction points, offers low-res b&w xerox/fax machine images - very difficult for anyone not connected to YCRDI, service center or having prior knowledge to intuit how they actually wanted proceedure. Have made extensive photos of my K2661 internals/installation.

(F1 SAMPLER DIAG “The test passed! OK”)

In short, after executing the instructions to the letter, my SMP-61 successfully passes the internal DIAG at the boot loader, carries excellent sounding stereo program on the analog source monitor signal, but apparently fails to transfer significant bits of the digitally encoded signal back to CPU board for some reason.

It’s less likely this could be a connectivity issue on the ribbon, retaining clips are on. Am suspecting either a passive film occurred within the SMP-61 during dormancy, obstructing something on the board
 or an internal mask on some SMP-61 chip went stale before I asserted power a dozen years later.

My K2661 is exc condition low hours, perhaps just a few hundred hours on the ps, not suspecting noise. Using filtered power, ESD precautions, RF precautions, etc.

The optical AES / SPDIF input will not sync to any ext signal, have tried various known good digital audio sources and cables. The built in Alesis ADAT transceiver chips on the CPU board work fine.
ERRORS indicator flickers each time DIGITAL is selected. The digital resample function somewhat works with nasty results, samples come back very very quiet, digital hash noisy.

The CLIP indicator in analog mode is constantly on, even when nothing is connected. Have sampled from XLR and Hi-Z but the result sounds exactly like one took a lo-fi Mirage 8bit recording of something and normalized it close to full scale. Have experimented with MAST2 settings. So, bits are somehow missing from the audio submitted by the SMP-61 to the sound RAM . And there’s something wrong with SMP-61 signal level, exactly where unknown.

Is the next step to remove the module and pop the silver sheild off and scan surface for visible defects? Were there any incompatible revisions? For the cost and amount of effort to source and install SMP-61, this highly annoying and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to resolve. Thanks! R